Dear Peer Mentor,
I have been applying to dozens of internships, and guess what? I finally landed an interview! The bad news…it’s tomorrow! I don’t feel prepared and frankly I am extremely nervous! This is my first professional interview and I don’t really know what to expect. Do you have any tips for this very jittery junior? I could use all the help I can get!
Hey Jittery Junior!
First of all, congrats on the interview! How exciting! See, all of that job searching has finally paid off! Take a deep breath; you will do just fine at your interview tomorrow. Take some time to research good interviewing practices. Here are five quick tips to help you prepare!
1) Dress Professionally: If you have a suit, wear it! Keep in mind that you are making your first impression with this company, so no flashy clothing or crazy hairstyles. Stick to neutral colors and minimal accessories.
2) Arrive on Time: You absolutely, positively cannot be late. So MapQuest the interview location the night before. Plan on arriving 15 minutes early to be on the safe side.
3) Practice Your Responses: Google some commonly asked interview questions as related to your field. Practice answering these questions so that you are well prepared tomorrow!
4) Research the Company: Spend some time tonight researching the company or organization you are interviewing with. You want to be familiar with the company. Jot down a few questions you have for your interviewer.
5) Get Lots of Rest: Get a good night’s sleep, eat a good breakfast, and relax! Try and be yourself in the interview so that the employer can see who you truly are.
Okay, Jittery Junior, this is it! Good Luck tomorrow! Let us know how it goes!